Prep Time: 40 minutes (30 minutes refrigeration time)
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Jeow is a general term for ‘dipping sauce’ but there are dozens of varieties still with the same name. This particular recipe is best accompanied with a green (unripe) mango or a sour green apple although I have unconventionally tried it with sour strawberries, nectarines, and even a pickle. It tastes best after refrigeration.
Ingredients (serves two)
- 1 small scallion, thinly sliced rounds
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of kao khoua (grounded toasted sticky rice)
- 1 tablespoon of dry chili flakes
- padek (fermented fish sauce) to taste (optional)
- Peel the green mango/leave green apple peel on; slice into bite-size pieces or spears.
- Mix all the ingredients together until dissolved.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings based on your personal preference.
- Refrigerate (for best taste) for 30 minutes, time varies based on your fridge.