I have had two babies and two necessary body transformations to grow those adorable little babies. I returned to the gym as early as I could bring an infant Lanoy to the gym daycare, which is as young as six weeks and you bet when she turned six weeks, I dropped off the kids at our local YMCA. As you can imagine in any daycare setting, it’s inevitable to be surrounded by other kids’ sickies and germs and grossness. I do not take my sick kids to the gym even though I desperately want to get a quiet hour to myself. I’m just not a dick like that. So, what’s a mom to do when you want to get back into fit mode? When I can’t make it to the gym, I do squats just using my body weight. When I do make it to the gym, I gladly add some hand weights or a barbell. I honestly believe squats are essential for any caregiver to young kids and basically anybody. A few benefits of squats are:
- Squats are the most functional exercise Think about the number of times you have had to bend over to pick up the crawling baby or the massive mess the toddler made while you had to feed his baby sister. By building on your leg strength, you are maintaining your balancing skills and not to mention all the other muscles squats help look amazing. I mainly love the idea that squats can help me with the signature mom pick-up-toys-with-your-toes method.
- Squats are a full-body workout Speaking of looking amazing, they work a number of areas of the body including your hamstrings, calves, and your behind, which I admit is my main motivator. Squats help with your abs as well. The importance of a strong core is just as important as leg strength for moms. Imagine the bod you’ll have by chasing kids and doing squats daily!
- Squats give you a nice ass GH loves my butt, I love my butt, other people love my butt. I want a nice(r) ass and that’s all there is to it.
- Squats help you burn fat I don’t think women should be afraid to ‘gain muscle.’ For every pound of muscle gained, you burn 50-70 calories a day. Since you’ll be doing a simple and quick body workout, you’re going to be able to build muscle and burn fat. Skinny may look good in clothes but fit looks awesome naked.
- SQUATS GIVE YOU A NICE ASS This seriously should be reason enough. Seriously.
Some great tips for the perfect squat:
- For body weight squats, place feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart, hips stacked over knees, knees over ankles.
- Keep the head facing forward with eyes straight ahead for a neutral spine.
- Let the hip joint squat lower to the ground than the knees, if comfortable. Pro tip: Try squatting onto a box. Gentle tapping it with the butt will be a reminder to squat low.
- Engage the core, and exhale while driving through the heels to return to standing.